LENTILBALLS (TM)

For our food class this term we have beeen studying lots of interest and very important things. For instance, we did lots of baking. And we needed to learn some math and fractions becuase a lot of recipes have fractions. One thing that I enjoyed was seeing a farm in a restaurant. It didn't look like a farm, it looked someone's garden but really big. They called it a farm anyways so thats cool. We talked about leaveing agents emulsifers and protein. The major nutriitions are proteins, fats, and carbohydprates. 

 For our Action Project, we need to substitutie something in a recipe. Some people are substituting a emulsifeer. Some people re substituting a leaveing agent. I will do a substitution of meat with lentils instead. 

 for my experiment, I used the following meatball recipe: 1lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef 1/2cup Progresso™ Italian-style bread crumbs 1/4cup milk 1/2teaspoon salt 1/2teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 1/4teaspoon pepper 1small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup) 1egg MMMmm looks good doesn't it? Aren't you hungry already? Well, what if I take out the beef and use lentils instead? That's important since beef is bad for the planet. Also since my new meatballs are experimental I converted the recipe by 1/2 so I didn't make as much. Look at my math. 1 x 1/2 = 1/2lb lentilf 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4cup Progresso™ Italian-style bread crumbs 1/4x 1/2 = 1/8cup milk 1/2x 1/4 = 1/8teaspoon salt 1/2x 1/2 = 1/4teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 1/4/1/2 = 1/18teaspoon pepper 1x/12 = 1/2small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup) 1x1/2 = 1/2egg (have to estimate this) I hope you enjoy the slideshow that documents my experiment in substituting my meatball recipe. In conlcusion, this was a lot of fun, it makes me think of some other simple substitutions I could do to make healthy 'meat' balls but I would have to be creative so they weren't as dry as these were. But I'm pretty sure I could make something that would work ok in a spaghettti dinner. Plus I liked seeing the cool experiments other students did.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A WALK ON THE RIVER

SEEING REFLECTIONS