THE SOUND WALL

Craziest thing ever.  Yesterday, I heard the loud, deep sound of someone crashing a drum.  Closing my eyes, I heard the sound of the drum echo off a wall, the faint rumbles still audible seconds after the drum was struck.  

Moments later, again:  BOOOOM.  Again, the echoes.  My eyes closed, the echos seemed hollow... like I was standing in an empty concrete building.

Then, opening my eyes, I was disoriented by the sight of bright, blue skies.  Outlines of skyscrapers reached up above me.  Wait -- what?  What happened to the wall that had just been encircling me?

What it was, what the 'echo' I was hearing -- that I thought was the sound of a drum echoing off of a distant wall -- was resonance, or, according to Merriam-Webster dictionary, "the intensification and enriching of a musical tone by supplementary vibration".  In short: somehow, placement of the speakers around me managed to give the drum sound "supplementary vibration".  And they managed to do it in a way that made me feel like it was echoing in a room.

As I stood there, in the middle of Pritzker Pavilion, noontime on a Tuesday, I wondered how in the world someone could figure out how to place speakers in a way to create this incredible sensation.  As I chatted with a "Sound Docent", he pointed at a gentleman in the middle of the pavilion listening, motionless, with his arms folded.  "He designed this, you should talk to him," the docent told me.

I walked over, eager to learn more about how someone could create "walls" with sound.  As I got closer, the gentleman uncrossed his arms, looked up... and walked away, leaving the pavilion.  My question was left unanswered.... resonating in my head.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LENTILBALLS (TM)

A WALK ON THE RIVER

SEEING REFLECTIONS